JOB TITLE: Special Needs Diversionary Program/Juvenile Probation Officer
SALARY: Commensurate on Experience
BASIC RESPONSIBILIES: Provide mental health treatment and specialized supervision in order to rehabilitate juvenile offenders and prevent them from penetrating further into the criminal justice system. Work in collaboration with the local MHMR in coordinating services and working as a crisis management team. Officer will cover the caseload for Angelina and Nacogdoches County.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Required: Must be at least 21 years of age
- Required: No disqualifying criminal history
- Required: Satisfactory results on a drug test following a conditional employment offer
- Required: Texas Driver’s License and proof of liability coverage
- Required: Two years caseload experience in the criminal justice field or mental health field
- Preferred: Juvenile Probation Officer Certification
- Preferred: Juvenile Supervision Officer Certification
- Preferred: Background in Behavior Management
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, social work, psychology, sociology, rehabilitation or other human service related degree
- Preferred: Bilingual in English/Spanish
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficient with computers, basic computer programs and ability to learn new computer programs. .
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to deal with crisis situations.
- Through knowledge of the principles, techniques, procedures and trends of social casework among juveniles.
- Exhibit superior written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- General knowledge of due process and due process in the juvenile justice system.
- Ability to provide court testimony and make recommendations to the Court.
- Ability to communicate with Judges, Court personnel, police officers, social workers, coworkers and school personnel.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationship with county officials, state, municipal and civic organizations and agencies.
- Ability to make key decisions.
- Ability to apply good judgment on problems or the individuals and their environment in matters affecting juveniles.
- Ability to multi task in a high stress environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment or alone.
- Applications may be obtained at www.angelinacounty.net/jobs.html or at the Angelina County Auditor’s Office 606 E. Lufkin Ave. Suite 206
- Employment applications will be accepted (or postmarked) until 5:00 p.m., April 6, 2018
- All applications must be delivered in person to the Angelina County Auditor’s Office at the above address or mailed to Attn: Mark Gorman, P.O. Box 727, Lufkin, TX 75902
- Applications may not be obtained or accepted at the Angelina County Juvenile Services Department
- No phone calls will be accepted regarding this position.
Angelina County Sheriff’s Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Telecommunications Operator. This posting will remain open until position is filled.
The Angelina County Sheriff’s Department is looking for positive, proactive, energetic, enthusiastic individuals that support our core principles of professionalism, community, safety and service to fill the position of Telecommunications Operator.
This position will be responsible for a full range of radio and telephone operational duties in a 24-hour facility. Telecommunications Operators are required to process and prioritize incoming emergency calls for Sheriff’s Office, police, fire, and EMS assistance. The position will be a permanent, full-time position and normally consist of twelve (12) hour shifts. Certain situations and assignments may arise and require extended duty hours as well as a thorough training program. Reports to the assigned supervisor and Lieutenant and follows chain of command. All new hires must successfully complete a twelve (12) month probationary period.
The Angelina County Sheriff’s Department has an obligation to employ persons of good integrity who will maintain the security and high standards of its services, and whose conduct will maintain public confidence. To achieve these objectives, the Angelina County Sheriff’s Department will conduct a thorough background investigation on candidates who pass the initial application review, to include but not limited to the following:
- Educational review
- Work history review
- Driving record review
- Criminal record review
- Family history review
- Personal reference review
- Initial interview
- Pre-employment physical examination
- Pre-employment drug screening
- Pre-employment psychological screening
- Any other requirement determined necessary by the Angelina County Sheriff’s Department
Applicants are required to successfully pass a complete background investigation check and successfully complete a pre-employment interview board. It is critical that all questions on the History Statement and the additional application questions are answered and answered truthfully. The completion of the history statement and the additional application questions represent your ability to provide written communication and follow directions. Incomplete history statements and the additional application questions will not be processed.
Eligibility Requirements (partial list):
- Complete a Personal History Statement (Application) Required by TCOLE.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have a High School Diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Must possess a valid and eligible Texas Driver’s License.
- Must not have ever been convicted of an offense above a Class B Misdemeanor and must not have any convictions for a Class B misdemeanor within the past 10 years.
- Must not have any convictions of any family violence.
- Must not have pending litigations – criminal or civil.
- Must not have been discharged from any military service under less than honorable conditions.
- Be subjected to a thorough comprehensive background investigation and interview.
- All applicants must pass medical, mental and drug testing requirements.
- Must be willing to work shift work, holidays and weekends.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Must be able to type at or above 35 net words per minute, (corrected), proof of passing score required and provided by the local Texas Work Force Center.
- Must qualify for and obtain TLETS Terminal Operator certification from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education within Twelve (12) months of employment. Previous law enforcement experience is not necessary, but, helpful.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Law Enforcement experience strongly desired but not required.
- Bilingual skills strongly desired but not required.
- Exercises sound judgment.
- Able to relay emergency information.
- Ability to tolerate, react and maintain composure in highly stressful emergencies situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to make sound decisions using all available information.
- Skills to accomplish tasks in a controlled, effective manner while working under stress.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and the general public.
- Ability to operate computer systems.
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely over the radio and telephone.
- Ability to perform multiple duties simultaneously.
- Ability to read maps and coordinates.
- Ability to resolve conflict in a professional and efficient manner.
Salary and Benefits:
- Telecommunications Operator Annual Salary $32,760.00
- Certificate Pay
- Texas County & District Retirement System
- County paid Insurance for Employees who participates in the Wellness Program
- Thirteen Paid Holidays a Year
- Accumulating Eight Hours of Sick Time Month
- Longevity Pay, $8.00 per month for each full year, paid in one lump sum each December
- Paid Vacations days starting at five days for first year of service, ten days for second year of service and fifteen
- days after five years of service
- Personal History Statement (Application) can be obtained at www.angelinacounty.net/employment/ on the right hand side of the page under links under Sheriff’s Department Job Application or picked up at the:
Angelina County Sheriff’s Department
2311 E. Lufkin Ave. Lufkin, Texas
- To apply at angelinacounty.net click on Visitors tab then Employment Opportunity, on the right side of the page is a link to the 32 page Sheriff’s Department Job Application.